Counselling and Advising Services for Graduate Students

This page contains important information related to counselling and advising resources at Queen鈥檚. These resources are available to graduate and professional students.


Graduate studies provide opportunities for exciting new challenges and experiences. However, there are times when it can seem overwhelming. If you are feeling overwhelmed, anxious, sad, lonely or distressed, you don鈥檛 need to handle it alone. Please note that this counselling service is part of the services provided by Student Wellness Services and adheres to strict standards of confidentiality. Your counselling records will not be shared with anyone unless you give specific consent for release of your information.

The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs has an embedded counsellor who provides individual counselling services to graduate students and offers group programs on mental health and wellbeing.

Queen鈥檚 Student Wellness Services offers a number of specialized counsellors to support our students. Counsellors include registered psychotherapists, social workers, and psychologists who specialize in working with particular issues or student populations including Eating Disorders, Sexual Violence, Black-identified, LGBT2SQ+, Indigenous, and Cross-cultural/racialized students.

In addition to the graduate specific counsellor and other specialized counsellors, Student Wellness Services offers registered psychotherapists and social workers who are qualified to address issues related to stress, low mood, relationships, academic stress, clinical depression, and/or anxiety disorders.

To book an appointment with Student Wellness Services (SWS) call 613-533-2506 and ask to set up an appointment with a counsellor. You can ask to speak with the graduate specific counsellor, one of the other specialized counsellors, or a general counsellor. All of these appointments are free.

You can also visit the page on the Student Wellness Services website.

Queen鈥檚 graduate students can access Empower Me for free - 24/7, 365 days per year. This counselling services offers the following:

  • Connect confidentially with qualified counsellors, consultants, and life coaches for various areas of expertise
  • Can be used for crisis situations or scheduled sessions
  • Get support for issues of any kind such as relationships, family responsibilities, depression, anxiety, addictions, stress, disordered eating, financial insecurity, and much more
  • Appointments may be in person, by telephone or videoconference

Empower Me offers Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity sensitive service. Students can request, culture, race, religion, gender identity/sexual orientation specific support.

Support is offered in multiple languages (i.e., English, French, Mandarin, Spanish, Russian, German, and Italian) by telephone and videoconference. Simply ask the intake agent to pair you with a professional for support in your preferred language. Empower Me understands the importance of culturally sensitive care and will do their best to find a therapist matching such requests. Visit Student Wellness Services for more details.


There are a number of advisors on campus to support graduate students in navigating challenges they might face. Below is a list of advisors.

Queen鈥檚 University International Student Centre (QUIC): International Student Advisors working within Queen鈥檚 University International Student Centre (QUIC) are available to support international students. In addition to offering general support and cultural transition advice, the advisors are Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors able to provide information about student permits, visas, and more. If you would like to make and appoint with a QUIC advisors, email

The Ban Righ Centre: The Ban Righ Centre is an inclusive community that serves undergraduate, graduate, professional, domestic, immigrant, and international women students. Student advisors are available to assist mature women students on topics including academic goals and social, financial, or personal concerns as they relate to education. To make an appointment with an advisor, email

Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre: The Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre (4D) is committed to being of service to Indigenous students at Queen's. Academic advising, cultural counselling and support are all available. For Indigenous students looking to access counselling, please email the 4D Cultural Counsellor at For other support, email

The Office of Faith and Spiritual Life offers multi-faith, non-judgemental support for religious, spiritual, personal, and financial problems, concerns or crises. The office is faith-positive, spirituality-positive, and queer-positive. Chaplains are available to provide ceremonial services, interfaith community development, and spiritual support. They also provide support when students are in need, for example: in times of loneliness or personal need (perhaps due to anxiety, depression or financial problems), in times of change (as you prepare for marriage or decide a career), or in times of crisis (such as death, accident or serious illness. To make an appointment, email

Human Rights Advisory Services: Working within the Human Rights and Equity Office, Human Rights Advisors can assist in identifying and articulating concerns or questions about human rights (such as discrimination, harassment, failure to accommodate), explain relevant Queen鈥檚 policies and procedures, make referrals where appropriate, and offer options for addressing concerns. With a student鈥檚 permission, they can also speak on student鈥檚 behalf in order to help resolve a problem and may, where appropriate, attend meetings as a support person. To make an appointment, email

Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Service (SVPRS): The SVPRS is part of the Human Rights and Equity Office. SVPRS is the point of contact for students impacted by sexual violence. They provide:

  • Information and options about on and off campus supports and services for all students who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives.
  • Referrals to support services.
  • Assistance to access accommodations/academic considerations.
  • Information about both University and Police reporting processes, accompaniment/support in process, if requested.
  • Support and information for housemates, classmates, teammates etc. who may also be impacted.

To speak with the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator, email

Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS): The SGPS offers a Peer Academic Program that helps students to navigate the complexities of academia during their time at Queen鈥檚. Advisors are fellow graduate and professional students offering confidential advice, strategies for self-advocacy, and referrals to resources and services. To contact an advisor, email

The Office of the University Ombudsperson: The Office is a resource for helping members of the Queen鈥檚 community to understand policies and procedures at Queen鈥檚 and helps to ensure procedural fairness. The Office of the University Ombudsperson is independent, confidential and impartial. The Office is not a decision-maker nor an advocate for any party and can鈥檛 overturn a decision. Rather, the Office often refers individuals to the most relevant department within Queen鈥檚 to assist with the inquiry. To contact the ombudsperson email:

Students and Postdoctoral Fellows who are members of PSAC 901 Unit 1 or Unit 2

If you are currently a member of PSAC 901 Unit 1 or Unit 2 (see the Collective Agreement for PSAC 901 Unit 1 or PSAC 901 Unit 2 for definitions of membership), you can access resources through the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).