Registration and Fees

Learn everything you need to know about your registration and fees, including information for new students, tuition payment options, course registration, academic accommodations, and changing your registration status in the sections below.

Step 1: Most applicants receive their offer of admission on the 鈥渃ondition鈥 of successful completion of their current undergraduate honours degree (or master鈥檚 degree) and receipt of an official transcript showing the degree was awarded.

Step 2: Following receipt and review of your official final transcript, you will receive a final acceptance offer. This acceptance will be delivered via the online application system (for those who applied electronically) or through postal mail (for those who applied with a paper application).

If convocation for your previous degree is pending, your transcript may not indicate that the degree was granted. In this case, you must provide a separate, original, signed statement indicating that the degree requirements were completed and the date of your upcoming convocation. This statement should be provided by the Faculty or School administering the degree and not the home department in which you studied.

Step 3: Make sure to accept your offer of admission.

To confirm, return to the and login using your user id and password. If you see 鈥淥ffer accepted鈥 on your display page, this means that you already accepted our offer, either online or by reporting to the department to which you applied. If these words do not appear, this means we do not have your response. You must open your emailed letter of admission, click the 鈥淐ontinue鈥 button to proceed to our online applicant response page, fill in the required information, and click 鈥淪ubmit." This should be done as quickly as possible.

If you were offered admission to the master鈥檚 program in Occupational or Physical Therapy, you should respond to our offer using ORPAS (the Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs Application Service).

If you choose not to attend Queen鈥檚 University, please contact us so that we can update our records.

Step 4: Your Queen鈥檚 student number should appear on your offer of admission letter and on your online application site. If you do not see your student number, please call the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs at 613-533-6100. Due to confidentiality requirements, we cannot provide you with your student number by email. You will need your student number to set up your Queen鈥檚 NetID and your Queen鈥檚 email address.

Step 5: International students must visit the (QUIC) to confirm arrangements for your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). You may also apply online through the QUIC website prior to your arrival in Kingston.

Tuition fees

Visit the Office of the University Registrar鈥檚 website for information on tuition and fees for your program.

Based on the recommendation of the Working Group on Graduate Funding, Queen鈥檚 University made the decision that, beginning September 2021, international PhD students will pay the same tuition amount as domestic PhD students.

Information on fee payment methods and deadlines is available on the Office of the University Registrar鈥檚 website. All graduate students must choose and set up a fee payment method prior to registering each year. Full payment of tuition and fees must be made before you register, or you must enroll in the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan.

Call the Fees Hotline at 613-533-6894 with any questions about tuition assessment or payment.

Ancillary fees

鈥痵upport activities and services provided by the university and by student governments, their Faculty or School societies, and clubs. Student activity and faculty society fees are assessed to students registered on-campus in the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, the School of Religion, the Faculty of Law, and the Faculty of Education. The鈥痑re assessed in September only鈥痶o on-campus students. The Society of Graduate & Professional Students administer these fees.

Health insurance for international students (UHIP)

International students should visit the 成人大片 International Student Centre's website on鈥痶o learn about the University Health Insurance Program (UHIP), which is a mandatory plan that provides medical coverage for most doctor and hospital services in Ontario. This website also contains other important information on health care.鈥

The Office of the University Registrar鈥檚 website offers information about registration (see Step 2).

Graduate courses are normally selected in consultation with your supervisor and/or departmental graduate coordinator. Currently, only a few graduate programs allow graduate students to self-enroll in their courses through the Student Online University System (SOLUS). Please contact your program鈥檚 graduate assistant who can register you in your courses and/or provide more information.

The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs is committed to accommodating graduate students with disabilities.鈥 For more information, see the Accommodations Policy in the Academic Calendar, and the Roles & Responsibilities in Accommodating Graduate Students with Disabilities (PDF 63KB).

1. Accommodation for Graduate Students with Disabilities

Queen鈥檚 University is committed to providing accommodation for students with disabilities who are enrolled in any of its graduate programs. University administration, faculty, staff and other students are expected to support, to the point of undue hardship, all reasonable individualized and appropriate accommodation plans that preserve the program鈥檚 academic standards and adhere to the principles of academic integrity.

For more information, please see the relevant regulation of the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, under Accommodation for Graduate Students with Disabilities.

Queen's Student Accessibility Services (QSAS), in Student Wellness Services, provides support to students with disabilities, and helps ensure the University and its programs are accessible to students with disabilities.

Visit the for information and assistance.

2. SGS Protocol for Short-Term Academic Consideration

Background: This protocol is developed in response to the Queen鈥檚 Senate Policy on Academic Consideration for Students in Extenuating Circumstances (approved April 2017) and is intended to outline the general procedure for graduate students to request short-term academic consideration when/if required.

General: Queen鈥檚 University recognizes that students may have extenuating circumstances that temporarily affect their ability to fulfill their academic obligations and requirements.

Graduate students can request special consideration for extenuating circumstances that will have or have had an impact on an academic requirement or requirements. Such considerations might take the form of one or more of the following: a brief absence; a brief reprieve from coursework, research, or fieldwork requirements; an extended or deferred deadline; a modified schedule for assignments, labs, placements/internships, projects, or comprehensive exams; a deferred exam or project; an alternate assignment; a re-weighting of assigned marks; course withdrawal without penalty; or other consideration deemed appropriate by the instructor, supervisor, or Department/Program Graduate Coordinator (or delegate).

Extenuating circumstances include but are not limited to a sudden medical event or acute mental or physical illness, physical injury to self or significant others, bereavement, a traumatic event, or other serious personal/family crisis. Extenuating circumstances may also include officially representing the University at a sanctioned varsity athletics event (provincial, national, international competitions) or through an invitation to present or share research on a provincial, national, or international stage as a distinguished guest. Extenuating circumstances do not include personal or family events (e.g., holidays, weddings), academic or exam stress, or transportation or ongoing technological difficulties.

Students who experience chronic technological difficulties or workspace disruptions (e.g., long-term hardware/software failure, prolonged poor internet coverage, lack of planning or knowledge of program software/onQ, missing notifications/reminders, use of unsupported/out-of-date software, etc.) would not qualify for academic consideration. Students requiring financial assistance to plan and mitigate against chronic disruptions are encouraged to apply for bursary funding from Student Awards.


1. Graduate students request short-term academic accommodation by completing the Request for Academic Consideration for Extenuating Circumstances (111kb-pdf ) and submitting the form and any required additional documentation to the Department/Program Graduate Coordinator (or delegate).

2. The Graduate Coordinator (or delegate) shall make the decision to grant requests on a case-by-case basis and is responsible for following up with the requestor as soon as possible and no longer than 5 business days after receipt of the request. The Graduate Coordinator (or delegate) may consult with an Associate Dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for advice. 

Please refer to the instructions outlined in these diagrams(118KB) for a step by step guide through the relevant processes.


  1. Academic considerations for students who have experienced sexual violence fall under this Senate policy. However in the case of differences in procedure, this Senate policy defers to the Policy on Sexual Violence Involving Queen鈥檚 University Students.
  2. Requests for academic consideration due to extenuating circumstances and any resulting consideration granted are based on the principle of good faith, wherein all parties are requested to assume that the extenuating circumstances are legitimate and that any considerations granted are deemed to be in the best interest of the student, taking into account academic progress and essential academic requirements and standards.
  3. Students receiving academic considerations must meet all essential academic requirements and standards of the program.
  4. The Senate policy applies only to academic activities of graduate students in their student role (e.g. classes, research, examinations, and fieldwork) not in their employment role(s) (e.g. as Teaching Assistants/Fellows).
  5. This policy does not include students seeking academic accommodations related to a chronic or ongoing physical or mental health condition or an established disability. Please refer to the SGSPA policy on Accommodation for Graduate Students with Disabilities.
  6. Students requiring a leave on medical grounds for 4 months or longer should apply for a medical leave of absence from the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.
  7. The use of this protocol and the related policy and procedures to provide false or misleading information or to delay or avoid fulfilling academic requirements constitutes academic dishonesty, and students will be subject to the University鈥檚 Academic Integrity Policy.
  8. There is no official change of enrolment status made for any student given consideration for a brief absence of up to 48 hours or academic consideration (for up to 3 months) for extenuating circumstances. Tuition and all due fees must be paid and any promised funding from awards must be provided if the student is otherwise eligible to receive this funding.

View the Queen's Student Accessibility Services (QSAS) accessibility services protocols.

The Admission and Registration section of the Academic Calendar sets out regulations pertaining to the change of status requested, including:

  • Maternity and Parental Leave
  • Inactive Status Due to Medical Leave
  • Transfers from Full-time to Part-time Status
  • Full-time Off-Campus
  • Extension of Time Limits

Student Activity Fees

Part-time or inactive students are automatically considered to be "Off-Campus". This means no student activity fees will be charged, and you will have no access to certain University facilities and organizations. If you want or need access to these facilities, please contact the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs to arrange "On Campus" status. Information regarding Student Activity Fees is available from the鈥 .

This change of status does not automatically result in any adjustment for the fees assessed or required for the鈥痜or graduate students. You must contact SGPS yourself to make any necessary arrangements at 613-533-2924 or鈥

Tuition Fees

Students who transfer from full-time to part-time are assessed half the full-term tuition fee while registered part-time.

Students who change to inactive status due to maternity/parental or medical leave will not pay tuition fees for the period of approved inactive status.

A change of registration status does not automatically result in any adjustment of tuition and fees already assessed. Students must contact the Office of the University Registrar - Records and Services to make any changes to the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan (613-533-6894). Adjustments made after the 15th day of the month will be applied the following month. Students must also contact the Society of Graduate and Professional Studies (SGPS) to have health and dental fees adjusted or cancelled (613-533-2924).

Students must return their student card to have student activity fees refunded or recalculated.

Student Loans

Changing to part-time or inactive status may impact your repayment requirements to OSAP or another student loan provider. Contact your loan provider before officially changing your status.

Continuation of Part-time of Inactive Status

To be considered for a continuation of part-time or inactive status, you must re-apply by the end of the period covered by your current request. If you do not re-apply, or, if a subsequent request is not granted, your study status will automatically revert to full-time status, with all the corresponding fees.